MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

8-year-old boy burned while playing with gasoline and lighter

Medics rushed the 8-year-old to St. Mary medical center for treatment then to Seattle for his second degree burns.

WALLA WALLA, Wash. - An 8-year-old boy from Walla Walla, is in the hospital suffering serious burns after police said he and a friend were playing with gasoline and a lighters.

The 10 and 8-year-old boys were playing near Aspen street and Garden drive Thursday evening.

Actions news spoke to the victim's sister who said the boys began setting pieces of wood on fire after finding gasoline and a lighter, before the 8-year-old boy's shirt caught on fire.

The victim's sister said he immediately poured water on himself and ran home.

The boys sister said they were lucky the fire didn't spread and cause even worse injuries.

"I'm glad hes going to be okay because his family loves him and he has lots of siblings that look up to him," she said.

Medics rushed the 8-year-old to St. Mary medical center for treatment then to Seattle for his second degree burns.

The 10 year old only had burns on his hands and should be just fine.

The injured boy informed police the 10-year-old boy threw gas on him and then threw the lighter at him but the other boy denies this and said that the younger boy was just standing too close to the fire.

Administrative Sergeant Kevin Braman said its important to take preventative measures at home and keep flammable items out of the reach of small children.

"Any flammable should be locked up and secured as much as possible and the same with lighters or any type of ignition sources," he said.

He also said children should be on board with safety.

"Educating kids as well teaching them the dangers of fires especially with all the fires in the north west currently that's an easy way to talk about the dangerous their are."

Detectives are investigating the matter to determine if it was an accident or a criminal act.


Trending