Benton County firefighter hospitalized after electric shock

BENTON COUNTY, Wash. -- A Benton County firefighter is in stable condition in a Seattle hospital after he was shocked by a downed power line near Kennewick Wednesday morning.

The volunteer firefighter is identified as Ty Schoenwald, 22, who has been with the department since 2012. He is a Kennewick High School graduate and attends WSU. His father is a Captain with Benton County Fire.

Authorities say the line sparked a small fire around 9 a.m. near Game Farm Road. Firefighters from Benton County Fire District #1 responded to the incident, and one received an electric shock while trying to put out the fire.

The firefighter was treated at the scene, then taken to Trios Health in Kennewick. From there, he was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

He could be released as early as Thursday.

The fire has been put out, and power was restored.