Finley man arrested for CBC bomb threats

PASCO, Wash. Police arrested a Finley man in connection with phoned-in bomb threats that shut down Columbia Basin College last week.

KEPR has learned more about the Finley man arrested in connection with phoned-in bomb threats that shut down Columbia Basin College last week. Court papers say Steven Brown, 52, used a disposable cell phone to call in the threats. He was scheduled to take a placement test at CBC in the same building that was said to contain a bomb.

Brown was arrested Wednesday at his home on Pidcock Road in the Finley area.

Officers report multiple threats were called in on Thursday, July 18th to both the CBC campus and to a local radio station, informing the radio worker of a bomb at CBC.

Court papers say the caller dialed *67 prior to placing the calls so the incoming number would be blocked and would not appear in caller ID.

Both the Richland and Pasco campuses were shut down for the night while authorities searched for explosive devices. No explosives were found.

Pasco Police were able to get a call log from T-Mobile which identified the outgoing number which placed the calls. Since it was a disposable phone, it could have come from anywhere. But police worked backwards and called another number that was dialed a short time after the threats were called in. The woman who answered this phone explained that her young daughter had been the person who called her, asking if she could stay at a play date longer. The woman told police her daughter had been at Brown's home and Brown was the only other person there.

Court papers say Brown had been scheduled to take the placement test on the day the threats were called in, inside the building where the threats were called in. Brown was set to take the test multiple times as part of his requirements to receive assistance from the Department of Labor and Industries, but had not done so. Brown's sister told Pasco Police he was taking the Compass test on Tuesday, July 23rd after he was unable to take it on the day the threat was called in.

Brown was arrested on Wednesday, July 24th. He's accused of threats to bomb and is being held on $150,000 bail at the Franklin County Jail.