MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Health district closes Scooteney Reservoir due to toxic algae bloom

Health district closes Scooteney Reservoir due to toxic algae bloom

KENNEWICK, Wash. - Scooteney Reservoir is closed due to toxic bacteria.

The Benton-Franklin Health District (BFHD) ordered the closure after algae samples from the lake indicated toxic levels of Microcystin, August 4.

Health officials said people could be exposed to this toxin by ingesting the water. It is especially dangerous for small children and animals.

Symptoms could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours to appear, according to a BFHD release. Symptoms may include jaundice, nausea, and weak pulse.

The toxin could be fatal to anyone exposed according to health experts.

The district is cautioning Scooteney Reservoir visitors to keep children and pets out of the water until levels are safe.

They said it typically takes a week for toxins to reach a safe level after an algae bloom.

More information may be found here.

Trending