MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

How to avoid cigarette fires...

Firefighters are asking smokers to be sure cigarettes are completely put out, in water or sand.

PASCO, Wash. - Firefighters in our area are sending out a warning on how to properly dispose of cigarette butts in order to avoid home fires.

Pasco firefighters said smoking materials are the leading cause of death and our home is where most structure fires, injuries and deaths occur.

Community risk reduction firefighter said it's common for folks to confuse potting soil for dirt.

However, it can be very flammable.

He said "its material that doesn’t actually soak up a lot of water, if you actually take a lot of potting soil and put it into a bucket of water you will notice it floats and doesn’t soak up water very well,"

Firefighters are asking smokers to be sure cigarettes are completely put out, in water or sand.

For more information on how to prevent fires, Pasco firefighters invite you to come out the Pasco airport tomorrow from 6:00-8:00 p.m. for an open house.

Trending