Kennewick Father thanks Firefighters for saving son from burning house
KENNEWICK, Wash. — A Kennewick father is thanking the Kennewick Fire Department after they saved his son from a fire that destroyed their home on Tuesday night.
Richard Stith called Action News from Seattle where his wife and son are in the hospital recovering
He said he was at the store when he heard the firetrucks but he didn't realize his family was in danger,
As flames consumed the home, two-year-old Dominic was still inside asleep, the fire between he and his mother,
"She rushed back in, trying to save him herself, and couldn’t get to him. She had to be intubated ... because she took in a lot of smoke. “
That's when Stith said the Kennewick Fire Department moved fast, the got Dominic out of the house and rescuscitated him in a matter of seconds.
The father called the first responders heroes,
"They had him out and gone before I even knew he was out of the house. I mean that's how fast they were. And I'm so grateful ... sorry I'm starting to tear up again
… that they saved my son."
Brian Ellis of Kennewick Fire told Action News it looks like an unattended candle caused the fire and the home is a complete loss.
Stith, a former firefighter himself, said he has what matters most,
"All the stuff in the house, clothes, furniture, all that's replaceable. "
He said he will forever be in the Kennewick Fire Department's debt,
"Oh, I am very grateful. All those guys just coming together and getting in there and getting my son out, and saving him, that's something that can't be replaced and I am grateful that they were able to do that."
The Stith's other children are staying with family.
Richard, Melissa and Dominic will be staying in Seattle for a bit longer.
Both Melissa and Dominic are suffering from smoke inhalation, but luckily neither of them were burned,
"We're not 100% out of the woods, but we're about 75% out there."
If you want to help the young family get back on their feet, you can make a donation to Richard Stith by going in to any Numerica Credit Union location.
Numerica Credit Union Locations
- Kennewick Branch: 3115 W. Kennewick Ave., Kennewick, Wash. 99336
- Gage Branch: 8551 W. Gage Blvd. Suite E, Kennewick, Wash.
- Southridge Branch: 4898 W. Hildebrand Blvd., Suite 120, Kennewick, Wash.
The Stith family is still looking for their dog who went missing in the commotion. Demon is a Lab-mix and was last seen near 400 E. Tenth Ave. in Kennewick.
Please contact 509-521-4838, or message Richard Stith with any information.