UPDATE: Police arrest suspect armed with sword, bow and arrow barricaded inside house

Man with sword, bow and arrow barricades inside house upon police arrival

BENTON COUNTY, Wash. -- After a five-hour standoff, police arrested a suspect who barricaded himself in his home with a sword and was using that sword to break the windows and slash the walls of his own home.

"This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this before," said Christopher Montvale.

Montvale woke up to a SWAT team wearing protective gear and carrying guns right outside his home.

"I will be completely honest. I was scared," said Montvale.

Authorities said 54-year-old Fernando Amerello Tijerena barricaded himself in a home on 2198 PR in Finley, arming himself with a knife at first, but then with a sword and a bow and arrow.

Officials reported Tijerena had two warrants for aggravated identity theft and passport fraud.

After several hours, he surrendered peacefully with minor injuries. Police said Tijerena was the only one inside and no one else was hurt.

"We don't want to charge right in when we show up so we give them ample opportunities to surrender," said Lt. Clay Vannoy with the Benton County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities said they started by asking him to calmly come out, but he wouldn't budge.

“We always want to end these things safely and the vast majority do because of the professionalism of the Tri-City Regional SWAT team. They have a full-time hostage negotiation team which negotiates with these people. We go to great lengths to surrender on their own so nobody gets injured," said Vannoy.

After refusing to come out, authorities took more steps,

“One of the steps we take are to use some of the flash bang distraction devices. They're very loud and we use them outside the residence to coerce him into giving up peacefully," said Vannoy.

Police eventually used an irritating gas, leading to the surrender.

During the standoff, many agencies responded.

"We don't want to skimp on resources when it comes to protecting lives," added Vannoy.

The Benton County Sheriff's Department said only one family in the neighborhood decided to leave during the standoff. Others stayed inside per official request.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off