Police release names of officers and suspect involved in Kennewick shooting

Police close down the crime scene at 10th and Olympia in Kennewick, following an officer-involved shooting. 

KENNEWICK, Wash. – A man is dead and two Kennewick police officers are on administrative leave, following a police-involved shooting Sunday evening.

Now Action News is asking what comes next. We spoke to an officer with KPD and a witness at the scene to find out more about those tense moments leading up to the shooting.

They both preferred to remain off camera since this is a pending investigation.

Kennewick police said they got a 911 call at 6:38 p.m. Sunday, about a man armed with a weapon. Two officers arrived on the scene at the same time.

The man has been identified as 46-year-old Hussein Hassan, and the officers involved in this shooting are Officer Joshua Kuhn and Officer Jason Kiel.

A witness at the scene at 10th and Olympia in Kennewick said they pulled to the side of the road when a police officer quickly drove by. The witness said that as soon as the officer got out of his car, they saw a man start attacking the officer with what appeared to them as a metal baton.

"Right away a man came and started charging him with a baton and started beating the officer with it," a witness said. "The officer tried to escape and get away behind the vehicle, but he couldn't do anything. He had his arms over his head he was trying to protect himself from the man that was beating him."

Police said when the officer confronted the suspect, Hassan hit the officer in the head with not a baton, but a sword.

"There were officers with their guns drawn saying get down get down, trying to gain control of the situation, and the man was continuing to beat the officer and chase after him," the witness said.

The witness said that's when the shots were fired and the man dropped to the ground.

Police said all of this happened within three minutes, by 6:41 p.m.

Medics arrived and rushed both suspect and the officer to Trios Hospital, that’s where the officer received seventeen staples to close his wound and where the Hassan later died.

Police told Action News, in a situation where an officer is already being attacked with a weapon, they don’t have another choice for self-defense, deadly force is their only option.

“Before the police engaged with him, Hassan assaulted the officer with on the head with sword,” Sgt. Mike Genack said. “Officers are trained to shoot to stop the threat.”

According to Washington State Law RCW 9A.16.040, justifiable use of deadly force by an officer means an officer must have probable cause to believe that the suspect, if not apprehended, poses a threat of serious physical harm to the officer or a threat of serious physical harm to others.

These circumstances include, “if the suspect threatens an officer with a weapon or displays a weapon in a manner that could reasonably be construed as threatening.”

The Tri-City Special Investigations Unit is handling this investigation.

The Kennewick Police Officers involved in this incident are Officer Joshua Kuhn, who has 15 years of service with the Kennewick Police Department and Officer Jason Kiel, who has almost 20 years of combined service with the Kennewick Police Department and the Washington State Patrol.

The Benton county coroner says an autopsy on the suspect is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

We'll continue to follow this story.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off