UPDATE: Coroner releases name of teen who died in Columbia River

Police and emergency crews at scene with teens and family following the river accident.

PASCO, Wash.

[UPDATE 12:00 p.m., August 22]

Franklin County coroners received autopsy results August 21 and determined Cole Grad's death was an accidental drowning upon low voltage electrical shock.

[UPDATE at 3:11 p.m.]

The teenage boy who died in the Columbia River Thursday night has been identified by the Franklin County Coroner as 15-year-old Chiawana High School student, Cole Grad.

According to the Pasco Police, the boy was pronounced dead at Kadlec Regional Medical Center on Thursday.

Officials say this all began when a kid called dispatch, stating he couldn't find his 15-year old friend in the river in the area between Pasco's Road 84 and Road 76 and near the pump house.

After searching for 10 minutes, police and Pasco fire fighters found the boy in the water.

In their attempts to rescue the teenager, two Pasco fire fighters were shocked by electricity in their attempts to rescue the boy. This happened as one stood on shore by the pump house and the other went into the water toward the boy.

Neither firefighter was injured.

Pasco PD states a fire captain broke into the pump house and shut off the breakers in the power supply to the pump.

Pasco Police is investigating. They say it's unclear at this time why the boy went underwater, as well why the fire fighters had to deal with an electrical current in their attempts to rescue him.

The teen's identity has not been released at this time.


A boy is in the hospital after police say he was lost underwater for 20 minutes in the Columbia River.

Pasco police say around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, 911 dispatch got a call from a kid saying he couldn't find his 15-year old friend in the river between Road 84 and Rd 76 in Pasco .

Emergency crews rushed to this scene, where several teens were found, looking for their friend.

After 10-minutes of searching police say they found the unconscious boy in the water, and they rushed him to the hospital.

The teen's condition is unknown at this time.

This is a developing story. We will continue to update you as we learn more.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off