This year, the open enrollment period for Medicare Advantage plans and for Medicare Part D, the prescription drug coverage, runs from October 15 - December 7, 2014. There is not one single plan that is best or right for everyone, the right plan can save more than 50% in out-of-pocket costs over others. Medicare Advantage plans may change benefits from year to year. Costs can vary too. In our state we are fortunate to have a resource available to all state residents who have questions about insurance options. Access to information could not be easier - SHIBA volunteers can discuss your options over the telephone or even meet with you in-person. You can reach SHIBA at 1-800-562-6900 or online at www.insurance.wa.gov/shiba.
American taxpayers lose more than $60 billion each year to Medicare fraud. We want to make sure that the program will be there for future, here are a few things you can do.
- Carefully review your Medicare Summary Notice
- Always protect your Medicare and Social Security number
- Don't give anyone your Medicare ID if offering a free service. A free service doesn't require a Medicare ID.
- Don't let anyone use your Medicare number or your identity. It's illegal and could cause you serious problems if another person receives medical treatment using your name and identification.
- Avoid any provider of health care who tells you a service is not covered, but knows how to bill Medicare.