WATCH: Video shows rescue of missing Boy Scouts, troop leaders on Mount Baker

Two 13-year-old Boy Scouts and two adult troop leaders were rescued from Mount Baker on Monday, June 4, 2018. (Photo: Still image from U.S. Customs and Border Protection video)

MOUNT BAKER, Wash. - Searchers have found two 13-year-old Boy Scouts and two adult troop leaders who went missing Sunday night on 10,781-foot Mount Baker.

The four were airlifted off the mountain due to hypothermia and were taken to a Bellingham hospital in serious condition, then later moved to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

WATCH: Video released by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows rescue on Mount Baker:

A Whatcom County Sheriff's Office spokesman says the four missing climbers became separated from eight others in their troop somehow overnight during an attempted summit of the Cascade volcano.

Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo said the four are part of a Boy Scout troop from Seattle.

Deputy Mark Jilk, who helps manage search and rescue operations, says the four were attempting to summit the peak on its north face when they went missing. Turns out, the four had dug a hole on the north side of the summit plateau, at over 10,000 feet up.

"They got turned around, the weather did close on them quickly, so they did what, they probably made a great decision to find a place to hunker down while they couldn’t see, they had very limited visibility," he said. "They never really had a window of weather that opened up for them to get off the summit, so they waited throughout the night."

Conditions were very cold in the area where the four disappeared, with a temperature of 14 degrees and some snowfall.

"This was one of the coldest days I’ve seen this whole winter," said search and rescue volunteer Chuck Foster. "I have probably 5 jackets in my pack. Ended up using all of them. It was cold. Going in it was rainy, it was wet. So we were soaked. And then you get up high, our water was freezing, and you’re not really prepared for full winter."

Crews have been out searching since midnight to find them, and were found when the clouds parted Monday morning, allowing a helicopter to join the search.

"The helicopter flew over and said, 'well there’s a party of four walking around,' " Foster said. "That’s them. Get down there."

The other eight in the group managed to get down safely.

"It’s great. We have had a pretty tough year in this county," Jilk said. "We’ve lost a few people. It can be a dangerous environment."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off