KENNEWICK, Wash. - Nearly 100 people lost power in the Canyon Lakes area Monday after a transformer exploded and sparked a brush fire according to Kennewick firefighters.
Crews say they responded just after noon Monday and found a brush fire near Canyon Lakes and Union. Crews were able to contain the brush fire and put it out before the flames could spread.
Benton Public Utility District (PUD) crews also responded to fix the power outage in the area caused by the transformer.
Officials say 180 customers lost power in the incident. No one was hurt in the transformer explosion or brush fire according to firefighters and the flames did not threaten any homes.