Husband arrested for killing wife, bail set at $2 million

UNION GAP, Wash. -- Union Gap police laid out a premeditated murder plot by John Munzanreder that resulted in his arrest Monday for first degree murder. John's suspected accomplice, Juan Ibanez Cortes, was also arrested on the same charges.

Munzanreder and Ibanez are both being held in the Yakima County Jail on first degree murder charges. First degree murder indicates the act was premeditated.

A judge set bail at $2 million for both men Tuesday afternoon.

Cynthia Kelley-Munzanreder was shot as she left The Majestic on Thursday evening after seeing a movie. She was with her husband and heading to their car at the time. Police say she was shot twice, once in the head and once in the abdomen.

Court documents paint the picture from Union Gap Police of what happened Thursday night just before 9:00pm.

Papers say Munzanreder committed the murder himself with the help of Ibanez. Police say many of their details came from Ibanez's confession.

Following the murder, Union Gap Police spoke to Munzanreder. They say he told officers he and Cynthia were on their way to their car following the movie when he heard a shot and saw a man in a black hoodie running away. Munzanreder told investigators he initially ran after the guy, but fell to the ground and lost him. Munzanreder claims he ran back to his wife and found she was shot in the head. Witnesses did not report seeing a man running from the parking lot.

During the interview, court documents say Munzanreder "lacked sincere emotion of what had just occurred." Papers also say Munzanreder stated there were "no issues" within the marriage and "all was well."

Upon interviews with those who knew John and Cynthia Munzanreder, it was made clear John was openly having an affair "for more than a couple months." Employees at John Munzanreder's workplace, Valley Ford, said the affair was well known by those who worked in the service department.

On the day of the murder, Valley Ford employees determined John Munzanreder and Juan Ibanez were off-site together for up to an hour. It was considered out of character for the two to be together during the work day.

Valley Ford employees also reported overhearing Ibanez inquiring about buying a firearm prior to the shooting.

During an interview with Union Gap Police on Monday, March 4th, court papers say Ibanez admitted leaving with Munzanreder during the work day on Thursday, February 28th. Ibanez told detectives the two drove to Main Street and Town Road, then drove back. Ibanez said Munzanreder wanted to talk him about his future with Valley Ford. Ibanez admitted the trip was "strange" and had not happened before.

Ibanez admitted to police that he bought a firearm from a friend. He also admitted being an illegal immigrant who should not be possessing a firearm. Ibanez told officers the weapon was hidden in the service station. When police tried asked Ibanez specific questions about Cynthia Kelley-Munzanreder's murder, Ibanez responded, "I'm done. I want to go home." He was held on suspicion of weapons charges instead.

Court papers say a short time later Ibanez asked to speak to Union Gap Police Chief Greg Cobb. He told Chief Cobb he had previously approached Munzanreder about borrowing money. Ibanez says that after a couple days, Munzanreder offered him $20,000 to kill his wife, Cynthia.

Ibanez told Chief Cobb he refused. He said Munzanreder asked if he would help instead. Ibanez says he agreed, and John Munzanreder devised the plan.

Ibanez explained he was told to hide near some trees alongside the parking lot of The Majestic and wait for the gun to be given to him after hearing gunshots.

Ibanez says he heard a shot and a gun was tossed to him. He told Union Gap Police he took the gun to Valley Ford where it was hidden in the rear of the service station.

Ibanez told Chief Cobb two guns were hidden there. One was the gun Ibanez admitted he purchased prior to the shooting. The second was the alleged murder weapon. Search warrants recovered the guns in the same place Ibanzez said they'd be. Initial tests determined one of the guns matched the bullets that struck Cynthia Kelley-Munzanreder.

Initial reports from police said she "succumbed to her injuries" Thursday night. Police later clarified that to say Cynthia was being kept alive for the purposes of organ donation.

Cynthia Kelley-Munzanreder was pronounced dead Saturday evening. She was 45 years old.

Police quickly told Action News this was an isolated and targeted incident. Court papers now say John Munzanreder devised the plan for murder and carried it out with the help of his accomplice, Juan Ibanez Cortes.

Stay with Action News,, Facebook & Twitter for updates.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off